Grade 12 is usually a student’s last year of high school. This is the year they attempt to finish meeting their graduation requirements.
*Download these two document to help with graduation planning*
(The companion document to the Grad Planner 2015/16)
In grade 12, the courses needed for graduation are:
**Starting in the 2016/2017 school year, changes to graduation and assessment will be more closely aligned with the new curriculum and personalized learning. Grade 10 and 11 courses completed after June 30th 2016 can no longer write the gr 10 Math, English, or Science exams or the gr 11 Social Studies exams.
All students in grades 10 and 11 will write a literacy assessment and math skills assessment provincial exam before graduation (available Sept. 2017). Students in grade 12 for 2016/2017 school year will still write the traditional Eng 12 or English First Peoples 12 exam.
Please see this link for more information: https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/graduation-info
- a Language Arts (eg. English) 12 (has a *mandatory* provincial exam at the end worth 40% of your course mark for the 2016/2017 school year only)
- Grad Transitions (included DPA)
- (if did not take in gr. 11) Social Studies 11 or 12
- Mathematics 11 or 12
- (if did not take in gr. 11) a Science 11 or 12
- a Fine Arts and/or an Applied Skills 10, 11, or 12, OR
- one or two elective from grade 10 - 12. A student is also required to take 7 electives for graduation (3 of which must be a grade 12 level course)
Applied Skills courses offered at SCIDES:
Accounting 11, ACE IT, Business Computer Applications 11, Entrepreneurship 10, Family Studies 11/12,
Foods & Nutrition 11/12, Marketing 11/12, Secondary School Apprenticeship 11A * Note that
Independent Directed Studies courses may also include focus areas of Information Technology,
Technology Education, Textiles etc.
Fine Arts courses offered at SCIDES:
Photography 10-12, Visual Arts 10-12.* Note
that Independent Directed Studies courses may also include focus areas of Dance, Drama, Theater
**Wondering about trades and apprenticeships and the jobs that could be available to you? We
have those too. Under courses, select “Trades and Apprenticeships”**